- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 bell peppers, tops and bottoms cut off and cut in half (so that you have 6 circular pieces of bell pepper)
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed and minced
- ½ large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup chopped mushroom
- 2.5 cups grated cauliflower (about 1 medium head)
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 cup salsa
- 4.5 oz can chopped green chilies
- 1 cup Mexican cheese blend
- Sour cream
- Add a few cups of water to a saucepan and turn the heat to high (use enough water so that it will cover the bell peppers when they are placed into the pan).
- Warm a large sauté pan. Add olive oil. While the oil is warming up, move on to the next step.
- Prepare an ice bath in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Add garlic, onion and mushroom to the pan with warm oil. Stirring occasionally, cook until the onion is slightly translucent (approx. 3 mins.). While it’s cooking, start the next step.
- In another large pan, start cooking the ground turkey. Cook until it’s almost cooked, leaving a little pink.
- Once the water is boiling, add the bell peppers. Cook for 2 mins., then blanch in the ice bath.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Spray a glass baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- In the pan with the veggies, after the onion and garlic are vagrant, and the mushrooms are starting to shrink, add the cauliflower and stir. Add the Worcestershire sauce and spices. Stir, then cover and cook for 3-5 mins.
- Once the peppers have cooled, add them to the bottom of the baking dish.
- Combine the veggies and ground turkey. Add the green chilies, tomato sauce and salsa.
- Spoon mixture into the baking pan, over, into, and around the bell peppers.
- Top with cheese.
- Bake on the center rack for 15-20 mins., then broil until the cheese is brown and bubbly. I usually broil on the center rack for about 3-5 mins.
- Serve and enjoy!!! Delish!!